Here’s a bowl I just finished turning, made from a wood called Myrtle, probably the North American version. (There’s also a Tasmanian myrtlewood, apparently).
(Click photos to view larger on Flickr)
It’s a decent looking wood, but I did have some issues with it being a bit tear-out prone. In fact there are a couple of spots I just couldn’t get perfectly smooth, despite a brand new carbide blade and lots of sanding. Not sure I should blame the wood, but I will anyway, at least rhetorically.
I am happy with the overall shape. Once again, I could have gone a bit thinner in the walls, but I’m sneaking up on that goal, one bowl at a time.